List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    KPresenter and autosave (Re: KPresenter NOT sloooooww... :) )
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-05-30 12:19:43

On Wednesday 30 May 2001 14:34, Werner Trobin wrote:
> David Faure wrote:
> >
> > On Wednesday 30 May 2001 12:56, Werner Trobin wrote:
> > > Would it be possible not to call completeSaving (XML + images)
> > > in the common case but just saving the XML? The app could "tell"
> > > KoDocument that it has to save completely e.g. after inserting
> > > or removing images/parts/cliparts/...
> > > This could be implemented in a BC way, and we can make it default
> > > to the safe variant (completeSaving).
> >
> > That sounds good... but if the app crashes, and we offer to load the auto-saved file,
> > it will only have the XML ....... so somehow we'd have to go pick up the pictures
> > and embedded objects in the real document instead ? That sounds a bit harder to
> > do, already.
>
> Ehrm, no. I meant to open the existing storage and just replace
> the root entry. That way we still have the whole backup in one
> file.

Ah, very clever ;)
So KoDocument makes a "cp", and then calls saveXML .... Hehe, this shows
the power of the kofficecore design ! No change needed in any app. Wow, I like it :)

Of course this means that if an app crashes while the user was editing an embedded object
(for e.g. 20 minutes), the autosave file will have none of the changes done to the embedded
object ! :(

Maybe we could save the root document and any child docs, but skip any images ?

> Well, it doesn't do that right now. My TODO gets longer and longer,
> but after this month... :)))
;-)

> > > By doing that and by providing a common config dialog to configure
> > > the timeout we could "fix" that IMHO.
> >
> > It's hard to provide a common config if we want the config dialogs to look
> > like the current kword and kspread ones (kdialogbase with iconlist).
> > What would we factorize ? One kintnuminput ? :) Doesn't look worth it.
>
> Hehe, okay :)

So what we need is for someone to add this config to kpresenter's configure dialog.
Toshitaka ? :))
(You can steal code from KWord or KSpread for that).