List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: gsoc: notetaking app for tabletpc
From:       Adam <nospam () xibo ! at>
Date:       2010-03-30 12:24:11

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 13:34:17 +0200, Cyrille Berger <cberger@cberger.net>
wrote:

> On Monday 29 March 2010, Adam wrote:
>> Hi,
>> i'm just thinking of creating a notetaking app for tabletpc users as a
>> gsoc project.
>> it should be an app similar to http://at.byu.edu/studentblog/?p=5, but
>> on
>> top of flake technology and probably including some ideas/code from
>> cyrille's braindump.
>>
>> what do you say?
>> are there already kde apps doing this, that i've not seen?
> Well when it comes to rich note taking there are indeed two applications,
> braindump and basket. Since you mentioned braindump, and notetaking (for
> tabletpc) is among its goal, I had like to suggest to do a gsoc related
> to it.
> In fact, I think a gsoc around a good way to create and handle shapes
> with
> tablet (and multi touch) would be a good idea.

that shifts the goal of the gsoc a little bit away from what was in my
mind, but actually it seems to make more sense.
previously i thought of a raster background, where you can draw with the
stylus and additional shapes, that you can put on top (similar to krita).
now you shifted my thoughts to another flake shape (raster graphics), for
drawing with stylus, pressure etc and additionally some simple pattern
recognition for drawing circles, rects, lines, graphs etc in a quick but
not raster way (better handling of shapes with the stylus and even mouse).

i'm not sure, if the second point with the pattern recognition is clear,
so here is an example:
with stylus or mouse you draw in braindump or kword a circle, after
finishing it turns into a flake circle. the same with other shapes and if
unrecognised, a path. this would be implemented as a tool plugin.

the result of gsoc would be polishing braindump and two plugins, a tool
and a flake shape.

rfc

greets, adam