List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Missing ODF features -- bugs or wishes
From:       Inge Wallin <inge () lysator ! liu ! se>
Date:       2010-03-26 9:51:48

On Thursday 25 March 2010 18:26:35 Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Thursday 25. March 2010 17.27.44 Cyrille Berger wrote:
> > On Thursday 25 March 2010, Thomas Zander wrote:

> My suggestion to consult an expert (or study papers written by one) was
>  based on that.

Do you have any suggestion for such an expert?  I guess Nightrose would be a
good person to discuss with.

That said, i wonder why you bring up experts when the last time a real expert
came in to guide us (colomar on the style dialog) you flat out told him that
he was wrong and disregarded his advice completely.

> That point still stands; ask a community manager what are the main points
>  for growing a community.
> Barrier to entry is a huge one on the short-list. The problem of having to
>  get rights to edit the bugtracker where ideas are stored is a big part of
>  that.

Nobody has to have any rights to add comments to bugs.  And that is really all
that is needed, isn't it?

> For example one member of our community wrote a couple of weeks ago that he
> almost didn't edit userbase because it required him to register there.  If
> thats a barrier to entry, then what does bugzilla accounts and write rights
> put up?

If somebody really doesn't want to register -- a process that takes less than
5 minutes -- then I don't think he/she would have contributed much anyway.  A
real contributor will put in many many hours, and the registration is not a
hurdle for most.  And even if we would lose one or two, it would be outweighed
by the fact that we have accountability in the code and in the texts.

But, as I said above, I don't think this is very important for bugs and
wishes, since anybody can add comments anyway.

And finally, to agree a bit with you, I do think it's a good idea to have an
external place, maybe a website extensions.koffice.org  or something, where
ideas could be collected and discussed.  This could perhaps be a wiki.  I
still think that the big collection of bugs+ideas should have its roots in
bugzilla, since it gives a much better overview than a wiki does.