List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Missing ODF features -- bugs or wishes
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2010-03-25 17:26:35

On Thursday 25. March 2010 17.27.44 Cyrille Berger wrote:
> On Thursday 25 March 2010, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > Can you please put time into finding a solution that would work for all
> > of us before going to go to a council?
>
> I agree with you that calling the council is too early, but then I agree
> with  Boudewijn that your message of 2010-03-25 15:15 ends with a
> conclusion that seems to put a stop to the conversation.

That is definitely not what I intended to do, what I'm requesting is not that
people stop talking.
The point is that when two groups have a difference of opinion on the outcome
of a specific suggested event (one or two places for tasks) then the two groups
at one point have to look outside their current in-the-head expertise.

My suggestion to consult an expert (or study papers written by one) was based
on that.

That point still stands; ask a community manager what are the main points for
growing a community.
Barrier to entry is a huge one on the short-list. The problem of having to get
rights to edit the bugtracker where ideas are stored is a big part of that.

For example one member of our community wrote a couple of weeks ago that he
almost didn't edit userbase because it required him to register there.  If
thats a barrier to entry, then what does bugzilla accounts and write rights
put up?

--
Thomas Zander