List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Missing ODF features -- bugs or wishes
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2010-03-26 9:59:29

On Thursday 25 March 2010, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Thursday 25. March 2010 16.30.35 Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > I wish you would respect the decision made a few weeks ago that
> > contentious issues can be put before the council.
>
> In this thread you asked the KOffice developers for a policy on feature
> requests, because you objected to the general solution to close them.
>
> As this is something that I've been doing for as long as we are in KOffice
> I explain why I did that. I give a couple of suggestions how we can get a
> middle ground; something we all can live with.

> I put time into finding and designing extra solutions and put a lot of time
> into explaining stuff that I've been planning with a lot of people in
> koffice and kde.

You put in a lot of time in talking down to people and explaining they are
harming KOffice by holding opinions they aren't entitled to because they
aren't the community management expert you are. But you aren't. I don't claim
I am either, but at least people tell me they find Krita a nice, helpful,
welcoming community, easy to get in and they tell me they find themselves
respected and valued there. Which, look at Ben's mail again, is definitely
_not_ true for KOffice at the moment.

> Can you please put time into finding a solution that would work for all of
> us before going to go to a council?

My solution, one that seems to work for everyone but you, is to allow feature
requests in bugzilla. A different component could be created, and that's
sounds like a fine improvement to me.

I don't buy your argument that having a feature request in bugzilla scuppers
any chance at building a plugins community. If bugzilla is so hard to use,
then people won't notice that request anyway. And it gives the rest of the
KOffice developers a way of handling feature requests without having to track
yet another website.