List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: SVG path support
From:       Thorsten Zachmann <t.zachmann () zagge ! de>
Date:       2007-12-03 16:08:25

Hello Patrick,

> Yes, you are correct, my question should have been about the path in
> Enhanced Geometry shapes only.
>
> >> I have checked with the editor of the SVG standard and he says that so
> >> far as he knows, all SVG implementations support relative paths with no
> >> problem.
> >
> > As I said this is already in ODF.
> >
> >> So, the question becomes should we move closer to standard SVG in the
> >> next version of ODF?
> >
> > I don't know If it makes sense to support relative commands for the
> > enhanced path shapes as they are I think not in SVG. I also don't know if
> > it would be possible to do so there.
>
> Err, I am not sure what enhanced shape paths not occurring in SVG would
> have to do with non-support of relative commands.
>
> As you know, relative commands are executed with reference to the
> current pen position. How would that be different with enhanced path
> shapes?

I see that might be a problem due to the formula support for some points. If
also relative values have to be taken into consideration it makes the
calculation of the path harder. Now the points can just be calculated when a
parameter changes without the need to take the previous point into account.
This is no problem for normal pathes as they are not modified via parameters.

I don't see that we win anything if we also allow relative values.

Have a nice week,

Thorsten