List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: A directory for color profiles
From:       Cyrille Berger <cberger () cberger ! net>
Date:       2007-10-14 7:55:53

On Sunday 14 October 2007, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Yes, I agree that the Krita profiles should be moved to:
>

> 	$HOME/share/apps/koffice/profiles
>
> or
>
> 	$HOME/share/apps/koffice/icc
>
> because the other KOffice apps will/should need them.
>
> However, I slightly take issue with where to put the profiles installed
> by KOffice/Krita.  IIUC, the idea here is to share profiles between apps
> which means we need to install them in a non-app-specific location.  So,
> the way I see it is that if they are profiles which are not
> KOffice/Krita specific -- that is profiles which are available somewhere
> on the net that they should go in:
>
> 	/usr/share/color/icc/
>
> OTOH, if they are KOffice/Krita specific they should go in
>
> 	$KDEDIR/share/apps/koffice/icc

Yes except that, if Scribus, the Gimp (2.4) and KOffice all try to install
Adobe.icm in /usr/share/color/icc/ it will be a problem for packagers, unless
there is a common package for profiles, so until that happen we will keep
shipping Adobe.icm and copy it in our own place.

> OTOH, I seem to have three sRGB profiles :-|  One slightly confused user
> here.  I presume that these are actually different since they have
> different names.  It is going to be even more confusing to users if they
> have multiple instances of the other types and they are actually the
> same (identical).

Well thanksfully, the profile loader is clever enought to accept only one
profile with one given name, So even if there are a thousand Adobe.icm file
on an user computer, it will be displayed only once in KOffice.

--
Cyrille Berger