List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: A directory for color profiles
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2007-10-14 2:56:29

Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Saturday 13 October 2007, david powell wrote:
>> from a user point of view i would expect to find them in the
>> userhome~/.kde/
>> tree someware for kde apps anyway
>
> I think the profiles we package with KOffice should install
> to /usr/share/apps/koffice/profiles; Pigment should look there, and in the
> standard places, /usr/share/color/icc

Yes, that works.  Kool!

> and $HOME/.icc. The latter place is
> where users install their own profiles. I think that a
> $HOME/.kdeX/share/apps/koffice/profiles directory is superfluous.
>
> Of course, this is a separate issue from where the profiles are placed in the
> koffice source tree.

I notice that we have an inconsistency here.  We have the directories:

	/usr/share/color/icc/   < or some $XDG not "/usr" if appropriate
	$HOME/.icc/

But the profiles that come with Krita are installed in:

	$KDEDIR/share/apps/krita/profiles/

While I said 'profiles' I didn't mean to express a preference for it.
Either 'profiles' or 'icc' is OK.  However, I think that they should all
be the same.

Yes, I agree that the Krita profiles should be moved to:

	$HOME/share/apps/koffice/profiles

or

	$HOME/share/apps/koffice/icc

because the other KOffice apps will/should need them.

However, I slightly take issue with where to put the profiles installed
by KOffice/Krita.  IIUC, the idea here is to share profiles between apps
which means we need to install them in a non-app-specific location.  So,
the way I see it is that if they are profiles which are not
KOffice/Krita specific -- that is profiles which are available somewhere
on the net that they should go in:

	/usr/share/color/icc/

OTOH, if they are KOffice/Krita specific they should go in

	$KDEDIR/share/apps/koffice/icc

Yes, I know that we again run into the possible duplication issue.  This
  is always going to be an issue with a FreeDesktop environment.  If
there is a solution, it should be in the XDG desktop utilities.  This
shouldn't be as large a problem here since there _should_ (boy I hate
using that word) be only one Adobe.icm, one WideGamut.icm, (etc.) and
the same for others which were downloaded from the net.

OTOH, I seem to have three sRGB profiles :-|  One slightly confused user
here.  I presume that these are actually different since they have
different names.  It is going to be even more confusing to users if they
have multiple instances of the other types and they are actually the
same (identical).

--
JRT