List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Bidi
From:       Stefan Nikolaus <stefan.nikolaus () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2007-07-07 16:20:38

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 06 July 2007 20:25:21 Sebastian Sauer wrote:
> On Friday 06 July 2007, Stefan Nikolaus wrote:
> > On Friday 06 July 2007 04:33:02 Sebastian Sauer wrote:
> > > I would suggest to use the textshape but I am not sure here if that
> > > would really solve what was requested (so, paint only parts of a
> > > document at each cell? or..?)
> >
> > Each cell can carry several text paragraphs.
>
> Only paragraphs or also images, lists, tables, ... so, full or fragments of
> odt documents? Only paragraphs include formatting would be easy and as
> Thomas pointed out, that's already possible with kotext.

I'd be pleased with per-character styles, alignment, (visualization of)
spell-checking, rotated text in a non-rotated rect.

> > All that's needed is to paint
> > these paragraphs into the cell rect, which might span several
> > columns/rows due to merging or automatic obscuring, if the adjacent cells
> > are empty.
>
> My motivation behind suggestion to try to reuse the textshape was, that
> those shape does contain some of the odt-related render-/layout-code. So,
> the most logical way would be to try to reuse all those functionality the
> shape already provides.
>
> > KoShape has so many members, that are unusable for a single cell, e.g.
> > the rotation angle, and will blow up the CellView. I'd like to avoid
> > that.
>
> true even if the existence of such functionality doesn't mean, that you
> actualy have to use it ;)
>
> To have a lot of such textshape instances where each of them just displays
> a paragraph sounds really like overhead for me. On the other hand I fail to
> see a nice solution that doesn't use also the render-/layout code that is
> already there. Also, will users put e.g. 50 text-shapes into one
> spreadsheet and if yes, can't we just lazy-load them once displayed (since
> I don't believe that a single sheet will contain textshapes everywhere)?

Putting 50 text shapes in is unlikely. But filling 50 cells with is not. My
plan was to layout and paint everthing with one method, not just texts, that
are character wise formatted. The style for the string should be separated,
so in Value just a plain QString is stored. Okay, that's the document level.

> May you think, we are able to put some KSpreadTextShapeCell code together
> that does just load+display a textshape and shrinks+extends the size of the
> shape on demand (so, depending on those span of several columns/rows and
> epending on the size of a cell, etc.) + maybe put some code in to be able
> to have the textshape transparent/not clickable/etc.) ? and do you think it
> makes sense at all to try to go this way?

Actually, I don't want to rely on a plugin for such an essential task.
Besides, does the text shape provide vertical text and rotated text in an
unrotated rect?

> Well, an alternate may to support only aa subset of what the textshape
> supports with own rendering/layout-code for viewing and to use the
> textshape itself only for editing. Sounds like a lot of work to me :-/

I don't know how much time it takes. But it sounds more and more, that this
item will stay on KSpread's TODO.

Regards,
Stefan