List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Bidi
From:       Sebastian Sauer <mail () dipe ! org>
Date:       2007-07-08 17:36:34

On Saturday 07 July 2007, Stefan Nikolaus wrote:
> > To have a lot of such textshape instances where each of them just
> > displays a paragraph sounds really like overhead for me. On the other
> > hand I fail to see a nice solution that doesn't use also the
> > render-/layout code that is already there. Also, will users put e.g. 50
> > text-shapes into one spreadsheet and if yes, can't we just lazy-load them
> > once displayed (since I don't believe that a single sheet will contain
> > textshapes everywhere)?
>
> Putting 50 text shapes in is unlikely. But filling 50 cells with is not. My
> plan was to layout and paint everthing with one method, not just texts,
> that are character wise formatted. The style for the string should be
> separated, so in Value just a plain QString is stored. Okay, that's the
> document level.

ah, I just realized that KSpread misses all of the text-format functionality
(of text per cell) OOo Calc does support (mainly cause I never was needing
them for spreadsheets).

re the KSpread::Value and style separation: the current loading code just
fills a passed QTextCursor what should allow this already. It's more the
displaying of it that is the problem.

> > May you think, we are able to put some KSpreadTextShapeCell code together
> > that does just load+display a textshape and shrinks+extends the size of
> > the shape on demand (so, depending on those span of several columns/rows
> > and epending on the size of a cell, etc.) + maybe put some code in to be
> > able to have the textshape transparent/not clickable/etc.) ? and do you
> > think it makes sense at all to try to go this way?
>
> Actually, I don't want to rely on a plugin for such an essential task.
> Besides, does the text shape provide vertical text and rotated text in an
> unrotated rect?

While we are using QTextCursor for it, we depend somewhat on the Layout.(h|
cpp) code in the shapes/text plugin since basic things like underline, link,
etc. are handled there.

So, if to use the textshape is no way to go, then it may an idea to think
about moving those drawing/layout/render code from the textshape to kotext
and allow to reuse it there. Not sure if that makes sense at all...

I guess to duplicate parts of the code isn't a valid theird option here and
doesn't make sense anyway ;)