List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Regarding KO 2.0 goals - feel of the startup screen (RFC)
From:       Jaroslaw Staniek <js () iidea ! pl>
Date:       2006-07-18 17:56:56

Thomas Zander said the following, On 2006-07-18 10:34:

 > Why would it not fit in the template dialog? You would benefit from the
 > extensive work many people did on that dialog to make it the best
 > usability wise and technically.
 > I fail to see how kexi functionality can not be modified to fit with the
 > template idea making it really integrate.

I guess you have read entire text in my post, and I talked to you about what's
this about. So again: this is not about removing the current API or the
behaviour. It's about going forward a bit with fresh view for KDE4,
_refreshing_ the whole stuff a bit. There are a few points how we can do that.

http://kexi-project.org/pics/2.0/koffice/kpresenter_welcome_chalkboard1.png
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/1897/1009/1600/startupdialog.png

Of course I hope Kexi functionality will be aligned to meet the requirements
of _modern_ application, the one that acts modern and looks modern.

For those who say the mockup is too large: it can be way smaller to fit in
800x600, I just didn't focus on shrinking it.

Perhaps we can come to a conclusion that is both compatible with most of the
usability theory and the desire to get more users outside of our `ghetto'?

 > The way kexi now handles opening or creating is certainly in need of
 > improvement; too many dialogs and steps making the user feel lost.

- "too many dialogs" is wrong indeed, so I have just one: the new mockup and
webpage-like interface (nothing new since a while, you know) demonstrates it
quite well; morover current Kexi startup dialog embeds the filedialog --unlike
koffice dialog which pops up another-level filedialog

- "too much steps" - sorry I still does not understand - we've minimized the #
of steps to the minimum by defining sane defaults, how do you want to minimize
further the operation of setting up a server database? Regarding to file
database the # of steps is 3 (we can also remove a question about the project
name decreasing it to 2). KWord has 2 steps too: 1. select template, 2. select
filename, (2. step is just delayed). What's a problem?

 > I suggest you work in that direction, and I suggest you talk to the people
 > from openusability who are experts in knowing what will have the best
 > impression.

Agreed. The mockups are the 1st step to do so. That was the easiest way to
show what I am talking about.

--
regards / pozdrawiam,
  Jaroslaw Staniek / OpenOffice Polska

* KDE3 & KDE4 Libraries For Developing MS Windows Applications:
                   http://www.kdelibs.com
See also:
* Kexi For MS Windows: http://kexi.pl/wiki/index.php/Kexi_for_MS_Windows
* Kexi Support:        http://www.kexi-project.org/support.html