List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KOffice 2.0 plan for object embedding.
From:       Dirk =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sch=F6nberger?= <dirk.schoenberger () sz-online ! de>
Date:       2006-07-14 14:21:24

> Hi,
>
> I'm sorry to ask a stupid question, but what is the practical benefit
> of this for our users?  What would a KSpread flake give them that
> isn't already available via the KoParts system?

I would think something like a table which looks like it is part of the
container document, instead of just a widget which just happen to be on
the same place.
Think things like the following:

- same scale factor than the parent document
- no scroll bars (wich belong to the KSpread document window), there
should be displayed just a subview of a document (say 10x10 cells),
instead of the whole KSpread GUI (including things like toolbars and
multiple sheets)
- if the "parent" application allows for e.g. rotated flakes, you could
see a rotated table.

From what I know, the only problem is that there currently exist no good
container application which could show the possible features ;)
A good candidate for such a application would be something which is more
DTP oriented than e.g. KWord, i.e. something like Scribus, but with better
KOffice integration.

Another idea about what could be possible is the "Ragtime" suite
(http://www.ragtime.de)
Unfortunately I have not found good screenshots which show the
capabilities :(

Regards
Dirk