List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KOffice 2.0 plan for object embedding.
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-07-14 15:14:05

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 14 July 2006 16:21, Dirk Schönberger wrote:
> I would think something like a table which looks like it is part of the
> container document, instead of just a widget which just happen to be on
> the same place.
> Think things like the following:
>
> - same scale factor than the parent document
> - no scroll bars (wich belong to the KSpread document window), there
> should be displayed just a subview of a document (say 10x10 cells),
> instead of the whole KSpread GUI (including things like toolbars and
> multiple sheets)

Exactly; see also my introduction parag on the disadvantages of koparts in
the long email at the start of this thread.

> - if the "parent" application allows for e.g. rotated flakes, you could
> see a rotated table.

All applications allow rotated flakes as that functionality is part of the
flake library :)
Included skewed and scaled shapes.

> From what I know, the only problem is that there currently exist no
> good container application which could show the possible features ;)

Well, there are two; the test app[1] and KWord already shows most of the
features, but they are just not nearly as polished as I want them to
be :)

> good candidate for such a application would be something which is more
> DTP oriented than e.g. KWord, i.e. something like Scribus, but with
> better KOffice integration.

For such purposes KWord already is very much capable of doing what you
want. Scribus is naturally more mature, but a huge chunk of the features
needed for DTP will be available in KWord 2.0 and various are already
there.
Really; I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the work already done.
See; http://www.kdedevelopers.org/blog/91 for various blogs over the past
weeks that show this kind of stuff I've been working on. :-)

1) You can get it using:
darcs get --partial http://people.fruitsalad.org/zander/software/flake
--
Thomas Zander