List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Making koApplication inherits KUniqueApplication
From:       Clarence Dang <dang () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-11-05 10:57:48

On Friday 04 November 2005 23:05, Thomas Zander wrote:> On Friday 04 November 2005 \
12:58, Clarence Dang wrote:> > On Wednesday 26 October 2005 21:43, Thomas Zander \
wrote:> > > On Wednesday 26 October 2005 13:03, Clarence Dang wrote:> > > > > ps. the \
usability aspect of KConfig changes has been solved many> > > > > years ago already \
in the original styleguide.> > > >> > > > Have you ever seen the recent file list in \
KOffice staying in sync> > > > between windows?  It only works if those windows are \
in the same> > > > process.  So depending on how I invoke KWord (running another> > > \
> instance or clicking File / New), I get different behaviour.  That> > > > is not \
> desirable.> > >> > > Sure, I agree that that does not work as needed, but there is> \
> > > absolutely no need to go and kill a huge gain we have in sharing> > > processes \
> > > because you have no idea how to fix a little sideeffect.> >> > Again, you still \
> > > haven't solved the problem of a modal dialog blocking> > unrelated open \
> > > documents.>> The KWin window hierarchy certainly does allow this nicely.  \
> > > Nobody> bothered to actually find out how to do so yet, I assume..
Sounds interesting - I will look into it.
> > Alternatively, I guess the config could be pulled out> > into a server rather \
> > than being per application.>> Being per process, you mean?
Yes.
> Having a server is not needed; as long as the configuration layer knows> what the \
> orig value was so it has a clear and simple way of doing a> 'diff' internally as \
> well as a secondary level diff with the file system> version.
From your experience implementing this, why did you choose this file-based approach \
rather than a global \