List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Making koApplication inherits KUniqueApplication
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-11-04 12:05:53

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 04 November 2005 12:58, Clarence Dang wrote:

> > > Have you ever seen the recent file list in KOffice staying in sync
> > > between windows?   It only works if those windows are in the same
> > > process.   So depending on how I invoke KWord (running another
> > > instance or clicking File / New), I get different behaviour.   That
> > > is not desirable.
> >
> > Sure, I agree that that does not work as needed, but there is
> > absolutely no need to go and kill a huge gain we have in sharing
> > processes because you have no idea how to fix a little sideeffect.
>
> Again, you still haven't solved the problem of a modal dialog blocking
> unrelated open documents.

The KWin window hierarchy certainly does allow this nicely.  Nobody
bothered to actually find out how to do so yet, I assume..

> > In the above mentioned styleguide it says that a config is
> > application wide and is effective as soon as OK is clicked.
>
> My point entirely.  Almost no application I've seen does this correctly
> (not limited to recent files list - lots of settings).

Might that be because they all share the same configure framework ? :)
The applications I wrote for a former client (based on Java) certainly
does this just fine, which is why I know its entirely possible if you
only look for the right problems before stating a solution.

> > Directing your question back to kconfig being flaky;
> > A much easier way to fix this is to mark a config as dirty whenever
> > another process overwrites the config file and reparse/merge when its
> > needed afterwards.
>
> Keeping files in sync is going to be fun.

Its incredibly easy if you use the scheme I described in my previous email
(and go on describing below).  Again; I already did this in practice
ones, so this is not just a figment of my imagination.

> A while ago, Michael
> Goffioul said that he used a DCOP signalling mechanism in KPrinter to
> get around this.

Thats not a solution, thats a workaround to a lack of a proper config
layer.

> Alternatively, I guess the config could be pulled out
> into a server rather than being per application.

Being per process, you mean?
Having a server is not needed; as long as the configuration layer knows
what the orig value was so it has a clear and simple way of doing a
'diff' internally as well as a secondary level diff with the file system
version.

> I'm just tossing around ideas here.

Sure, which part of my solution did I not explain very well yet?

--
Thomas Zander