List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Making koApplication inherits KUniqueApplication
From:       Clarence Dang <dang () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-11-04 11:58:32

On Wednesday 26 October 2005 21:43, Thomas Zander wrote:> On Wednesday 26 October \
2005 13:03, Clarence Dang wrote:> > > ps. the usability aspect of KConfig changes has \
been solved many> > > years ago already in the original styleguide.> >> > Have you \
ever seen the recent file list in KOffice staying in sync> > between windows?  It \
only works if those windows are in the same> > process.  So depending on how I invoke \
KWord (running another instance> > or clicking File / New), I get different \
behaviour.  That is not> > desirable.>> Sure, I agree that that does not work as \
needed, but there is absolutely> no need to go and kill a huge gain we have in \
sharing processes because> you have no idea how to fix a little sideeffect. Again, \
you still haven't solved the problem of a modal dialog blocking unrelated open \
documents.
> In the above mentioned styleguide it says that a config is application> wide and is \
> effective as soon as OK is clicked.
My point entirely.  Almost no application I've seen does this correctly (not limited \
to recent files list - lots of settings).
> Saying this is impossible > is unacceptable to me, its software you can alter so \
> anything is> possible.
I didn't say it was impossible...
> Directing your question back to kconfig being flaky;> A much easier way to fix this \
> is to mark a config as dirty whenever> another process overwrites the config file \
> and reparse/merge when its> needed afterwards.
Keeping files in sync is going to be fun.  A while ago, Michael Goffioul said that he \
used a DCOP signalling mechanism in KPrinter to get around this.  Alternatively, I \
guess the config could be pulled out into a server rather than being per application. \
I'm just tossing around ideas \