List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: plan for lightweight DOM implementation
From:       Tomas Mecir <mecirt () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-11-04 13:21:26

On 11/2/05, Ariya Hidayat <ariya@kde.org> wrote:

> I'm afraid I don't full understand what you mean here.
> Also, I suppose there is no need to give list of needed tags to the
> new DOM stuff as it is intended as drop-in replacement for QDom
> classes (at least for KOffice case). The only addition is
> DomNode::unload() method so that the application can explicitly
> release the memory taken by nodes which are not of interest anymore.
> In the future, when age-based cache is implemented (as suggested by
> Thomas), this method is even not needed anymore.

Aye, I understand your method, and aye, it is better, but also more
difficult to implement, I would say. I was simply offering something
that's simpler but would solve the problem we're trying to fix :D

And to explain my proposal better, basically, it's getting semi-lazy
beginning. For KSpread, for instance, the cell-holding tag (and
sub-tags) would be an ideal candidate for lazy loading, because we
only need one at a time. Whereas the rest only occupies a small amount
of memory, and can be loaded all at once.

But if you prefer to use your approach, then sure, go for it, it -is-
a more generic solution after all :D

/ Tomas