List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Making koApplication inherits KUniqueApplication
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-10-26 11:43:47

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 26 October 2005 13:03, Clarence Dang wrote:
> > ps. the usability aspect of KConfig changes has been solved many
> > years ago already in the original styleguide.
>
> Have you ever seen the recent file list in KOffice staying in sync
> between windows?  It only works if those windows are in the same
> process.  So depending on how I invoke KWord (running another instance
> or clicking File / New), I get different behaviour.  That is not
> desirable.

Sure, I agree that that does not work as needed, but there is absolutely
no need to go and kill a huge gain we have in sharing processes because
you have no idea how to fix a little sideeffect.

In the above mentioned styleguide it says that a config is application
wide and is effective as soon as OK is clicked. Saying this is impossible
is unacceptable to me, its software you can alter so anything is
possible.

Directing your question back to kconfig being flaky;
A much easier way to fix this is to mark a config as dirty whenever
another process overwrites the config file and reparse/merge when its
needed afterwards.

This makes the config class a bit more complex where it needs a concept of
changed fields (for merging so you know which fields are changed) and
needs to do a dnotify or its newest equivalent for finding out about
changed files.

Its not hard, and with the current state of the linux kernel we can
actually do it, in contrary to when we started KDE3 (when dnotify did not
exist yet).

--
Thomas Zander