List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Making koApplication inherits KUniqueApplication
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2005-10-26 11:08:41

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 26 October 2005 13:03, Clarence Dang wrote:

> If KDE really is as fast and memory efficient as claimed, this should not
> be an issue.  At least the code will be shared memory wise.

Well, it has little to do with KDE -- but everything with processes being
cheap or not. And actually, processes and even ipc are pretty cheap and have
been pretty cheap for a long time. Cheap enough that the gimp can run all its
filters in another process and push the image data between the main process
and the filter process without making people even on slow computers aware of
what's happening.

What's still not cheap is the startup cost of an application like Krita:
really should offload to a koffice or kde wide dcop daemon), linking of about
sixty plugins, linking against all the libraries Krita uses. That's still
very expensive.

(The original cause of this discussion was someone coming by on IRC and asking
why selecting ten images in konqueror and then selecting open-with-krita
started ten instances of Krita. That was a bug in Krita's .desktop file and
is already fixed).

--
Boudewijn Rempt
http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi