List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Graphical fallback for not handled embedded parts
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-04-04 16:53:12

On Sunday 06 March 2005 19:04, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 6. März 2005 16:29, schrieb David Faure:
> > On Sunday 06 March 2005 15:52, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > are there any plans to add the option to insert a graphical fallback for
> > > embedded parts some might not have an appropriate handler installed for?
> > > E.g. that embedded parts from KFormula or KChart have their view
> > > additionally included (as SVG, PDF?)
> >
> > The OASIS spec allows for this (*). But this isn't implemented in KOffice
> > at the moment.
>
> What would be needed to implement this? Add a flag to the part and in the gui
> (default to false) and use filters to convert the parts' visible views to
> some image typ (s.b.)?

You're talking about the saving, not the loading, right? The first step would
be to implement saving of embedded objects in the OASIS format in the first place :/
If the saving of alternate contents can be delegated to the part itself, I think
this would be best. Vector drawing apps could create alternatives in SVG or WMF,
word-processing apps could even create alternatives in plain text or whatever,
we don't have to limit this to images. But of course a standard "paint yourself into
a PNG" method like we have for thumbnails can be reused.

> Would it be welcomed if I tried to do this (i.e. would the list help me :)?

Sure.

> > (*) simply include multiple elements in a <draw:frame>, for instance
> > <draw:object> for the KFormula or KChart object, and <draw:image> for the
> > image (e.g. SVG) representation. There isn't really support for PDFs inside
> > either OOo or KOffice (without a filter, at least). Alternative text can be
> > used too (svg:desc).
>
> Which <draw:image> image mimetype is generally agreed on, i.e. can be expected
> to be understood at all places? Or should the target mimetype be offered as a
> parameter to the user?

I looked through the OASIS discussions and I don't see any written decision on that.
I think you should use PNG, as a lossless commonly supported image type?