List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: [RFC] Lotsa similar bugs related to excel import
From:       Raphael Langerhorst <raphael-langerhorst () gmx ! at>
Date:       2005-01-28 19:05:53

Hi Tomas,

On Friday 28 January 2005 12:28, Tomas Mecir wrote:
> Greetings !
>
> I was looking at the list of open KSpread bugs, and I've noticed
> that there are about 5 to 10 bugs that all look very similar - they
> state that the Excel import filter treats cells of type A as cells
> of type B.

Yes, I also noticed a while back that there are a couple of Excel
filter bugs reported. I think Ariya did lot's of Excel filter
hacking, but I'm not sure how active he is these days(?). Probably
he's also very busy.

> I'm therefore wondering, if it would be a good idea if I created
> one new bug report, where I would summarize all these existing
> reports, and then marked all those reports as duplicates of this
> new report.

Well, IMHO it would be good to group the bugs in two or three bug
reports - if they can be separated/sorted that is. Otherwise just
throw them into one report - we can then reduce the list of issues
with replies to the bug report.

> Of course, the best thing to do would be to go and fix those bugs,
> heh

yes, sure :)

> :)  But I feel like there are more important things to do than
> : this,

I also think this currently. Filters are great, but a well working
application is more important.

> and besides, these might even be called JJs (haven't seen the excel
> filter so can't say for sure, but the problem doesn't seem to be
> any big)

haven't seen the code as well, so no idea how difficult it is. Filters
are generally considered as a good starting point for new developers
though.

> / Tomas

Regards,
Raphael