List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd: Re: KOffice Logo and icons
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-01-28 17:36:29

On Friday 28 January 2005 14:58, Raphael Langerhorst wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> this mail had demo icons attached (see message below). I removed them
> to reduce the sice of the email.

I have now uploaded those screenshots to
http://kdab.net/~dfaure/big_demo_Y_Pastel_2.JPG
http://kdab.net/~dfaure/fileicons.jpg
for the curious :)

> I have asked Andrey if he's interested in creating a KOffice logo and
> he seems to be intereted.

Great ;-)

> Another question in particular is: is it ok that Andrey makes a
> KOffice Logo and maybe some more icons or do you want to run a KDE
> LOOK contest for this? What do you prefer / think about it? Andrey is
> of course welcome to participate in the contest if we decide on that.

I don't think we need a contest if we like what Andrey produces :-))

OK I remember that nuno also wanted to contribute - he sent us
http://kdab.net/~dfaure/nuno_pngs.tar.gz (action icons)
Actually I don't see much difference with the current icons but maybe I just
don't have the eye? :)
If anyone sees in there some icon that is currently missing, let's ask nuno
for the various sizes, the initial set is in SVG. But I'm not sure if nuno still
has plans for a KOffice logo; I don't think so.

Anyway, back to the KOffice logo issue:

> Subject: Re: KOffice Logo and icons
> Date: Friday 28 January 2005 00:54
> From: Андрей Дубинин <mycfg@bk.ru>
> To: Raphael Langerhorst <raphael-langerhorst@gmx.at>
>
> Hello Raphael!Thank You for your interest!
>
> All right, I want to make K_logo.
KOffice to be precise :)

> But PLEASE send me more information about it: 1.size and extension(I
>  sure .png -?)

Best is an SVG source, and generating from it the usual sizes:
16x16, 22x22, 32x32, 48x48, 64x64 and 128x128 ?

>  2.address for upload this artwork(may my k_look page?)

Any webpage or private mail is fine, the goal is to put it in CVS afterwards :)

>  And 3.important - finally date of upload. I'm professional,
>  therefore I nave not so many time and have to planned this. Please
>  mail to me soon, because I want to begin.

There's no immediate rush, take your time.

> Now I make it for Yoper, but maybe not sure. I mean pay. What
>  you think about it. Can I get the money for this set in other Projects?

If you make something available freely to the world, you can't really expect
anyone (except someone very stupid) to pay for it afterwards, when they
could just download it for free :)
Usually it works best the other way round: being sponsored by a company
for developing a set of icons, and having them agree on making the result
opensource. Then they get what they ordered, and the rest of the world
benefits from it as well.
Anyway, for those KDE icons (unrelated to koffice) it would be best if you
could coordinate this with the other artists on the kde-artists@kde.org
mailing-list.

PS: speaking about contests there's a new mailing-list for that purpose,
kde-contests@kde.org, where some people do want to organize many
contests for artwork.