List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: [RFC] Lotsa similar bugs related to excel import
From:       Tim Beaulen <tbscope () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-01-28 19:49:17

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 20:05:53 +0100, Raphael Langerhorst
<raphael-langerhorst@gmx.at> wrote:
> Hi Tomas,
>
> On Friday 28 January 2005 12:28, Tomas Mecir wrote:
> > Greetings !
> >
> > I was looking at the list of open KSpread bugs, and I've noticed
> > that there are about 5 to 10 bugs that all look very similar - they
> > state that the Excel import filter treats cells of type A as cells
> > of type B.
>
> Yes, I also noticed a while back that there are a couple of Excel
> filter bugs reported. I think Ariya did lot's of Excel filter
> hacking, but I'm not sure how active he is these days(?). Probably
> he's also very busy.
>

> > I'm therefore wondering, if it would be a good idea if I created
> > one new bug report, where I would summarize all these existing
> > reports, and then marked all those reports as duplicates of this
> > new report.
>
> Well, IMHO it would be good to group the bugs in two or three bug
> reports - if they can be separated/sorted that is. Otherwise just
> throw them into one report - we can then reduce the list of issues
> with replies to the bug report.

Personally, I would like to see them seperated.
Unless they talk about similar problems with the filter, then they can
be joined, if all the original reports and conversation is kept.

> > Of course, the best thing to do would be to go and fix those bugs,
> > heh
>
> yes, sure :)
>

> > :)  But I feel like there are more important things to do than
> > : this,
>
> I also think this currently. Filters are great, but a well working
> application is more important.

I think it's a combination of both :)

> > and besides, these might even be called JJs (haven't seen the excel
> > filter so can't say for sure, but the problem doesn't seem to be
> > any big)
>
> haven't seen the code as well, so no idea how difficult it is. Filters
> are generally considered as a good starting point for new developers
> though.
>

> > / Tomas
>
> Regards,
> Raphael

Haven't looked at the KSpread excel (ole) filters yet either, but I've
been reading the OpenOffice documents about the MS excel file formats,
and it's pretty complex.
http://sc.openoffice.org/compdocfileformat.pdf
http://sc.openoffice.org/excelfileformat.pdf