List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: MSOD and PPT import filters
From:       Michael Goldish <michaelgol () bezeqint ! net>
Date:       2004-11-01 18:02:30

Hi,

I ran into some trouble with the MSOD->Karbon filter and I need some advice:

1. MSOD doesn't only have host specific data - it also requires some
information from the host. For example, the texts of each powerpoint slide
are stored outside the MSOD chunk, but are referenced from within it. The
same goes for the color scheme as far as I know.
Therefore, I think host specific information needs to be passed to the
MSOD->Karbon filter. Is it a good idea to prepend host specific data to the
MSOD data sent to the filter? It can be packed like an ordinary MSOD
container, with an atom identifying the host (maybe an integer that will
equal 0 for powerpoint, 1 for ms word and 2 for excel?), and then a sub
container with host records (in the host's format) that are relevant to the
MSOD filter (for powerpoint these are text and color scheme records). If the
filter can't find the host specific container it will attempt to function
without host specific information, so it remains compatible with programs
already using it (currently only the PPT filter). Even though this method will
work, I'm not sure it's the right way to go, so please help me out a little.

2. If I understand correctly, Karbon describes (in its XML files) text
characters (and strings) like it does shapes. This means I need to specify
the character shape data myself. I could do this by making a list of
character shapes (which I can generate with Karbon) to be scaled/rotated as
necessary to construct strings. However, I can only do this for a limited
number of fonts (one?). Is this an acceptable solution?

Thanks.