List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: MSOD and PPT import filters
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2004-11-01 18:22:38

On Monday 01 November 2004 20:16, Michael Goldish wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I ran into some trouble with the MSOD->Karbon filter and I need some
> advice:
>
> 1. MSOD doesn't only have host specific data - it also requires some
> information from the host. For example, the texts of each powerpoint slide
> are stored outside the MSOD chunk, but are referenced from within it. The
> same goes for the color scheme as far as I know.
> Therefore, I think host specific information needs to be passed to the
> MSOD->Karbon filter. Is it a good idea to prepend host specific data to the
> MSOD data sent to the filter? It can be packed like an ordinary MSOD
> container, with an atom identifying the host (maybe an integer that will
> equal 0 for powerpoint, 1 for ms word and 2 for excel?), and then a sub
> container with host records (in the host's format) that are relevant to the
> MSOD filter (for powerpoint these are text and color scheme records). If
> the filter can't find the host specific container it will attempt to
> function without host specific information, so it remains compatible with
> programs already using it (currently only the PPT filter). Even though this
> method will work, I'm not sure it's the right way to go, so please help me
> out a little.

As Werner has told, create an enum or so and set it currently to PowerPoint.
After we will have made all changes to the filter system to support OASIS
(and perhaps to fix other problems), we could try to implement such things
(like what is the format of the parent file.)

The current problem is that not any developer has time to change/improve the
filter system. (There is even a patch from Clarence Dang pending since many
months. (And I have again lost the reference ot it.))

> 2. If I understand correctly, Karbon describes (in its XML files) text
> characters (and strings) like it does shapes. This means I need to specify
> the character shape data myself. I could do this by making a list of
> character shapes (which I can generate with Karbon) to be scaled/rotated as
> necessary to construct strings. However, I can only do this for a limited
> number of fonts (one?). Is this an acceptable solution?

Has SVG text written directly or indirectly as shapes?

If SVG has it directly, then you could try to concentrate on writing a MSOD to
SVG filter. Then only the SVG filter would need to be intelligent enough (or
perhaps not at all depending on Karbon's OASIS format but that is a part of
the OASIS specification that I do not know.)

> Thanks.

Have a nice day!