List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: The GIMP 2.0
From:       dirk.schoenberger () sz-online ! de
Date:       2004-01-14 12:49:43

> Am Mittwoch, 14. Januar 2004 09:56 schrieb dirk.schoenberger@sz-online.de:
>> If you mix vector editor iand image / bitmap editor, the chances are
>> high
>> that you get a hybrid system which does neither the one nor the other
>> functionality well.
>>
>> The last part is the real missing link, I think.
>
> Indeed. It's all about a fitting framework/architecture.
> Take what is common for a vector graphic element and a pixmap:
> * make up shapes with a width and a height
> * can be layered
> * hide with some mask what is behind
> * basic actions like move, delete, resize etc.
> and so on...

I had the impression that the above parts should be handled in the KParts
framework / Editor components.
The different Editor parts (KWord part, KSpread part, Karbon part would be
the plugins)

> Then we need to develop plugins that can handle shapes that are bitmaps,
> vectors and text, offering the usual tools.

But there is more. What is needed are tools which are specific to a data type
- images need e.g. filter plugins, vector images need shaper algorithms,
fill patterns, gradients and the like.
- vector images are not really useable if the nodes which are used to make
up the vector images are not editable as well.
- text elements need text support, including things like spell checking

These plugins doesn't really mix well. A image filter like "wave" is not
of many use to a vector graphic object. A shaper is not really useable to
an image element.
Spellchecking is not really useable for an image component.

Thats what the different applications are for. You don't really want to
bloat your context menu...

Regards
Dirk