List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: The GIMP 2.0
From:       "Friedrich W. H.  Kossebau" <Friedrich.W.H () Kossebau ! de>
Date:       2004-01-14 12:18:49

Am Mittwoch, 14. Januar 2004 09:56 schrieb dirk.schoenberger@sz-online.de:
> If you mix vector editor iand image / bitmap editor, the chances are high
> that you get a hybrid system which does neither the one nor the other
> functionality well.
>
> The last part is the real missing link, I think.

Indeed. It's all about a fitting framework/architecture.
Take what is common for a vector graphic element and a pixmap:
* make up shapes with a width and a height
* can be layered
* hide with some mask what is behind
* basic actions like move, delete, resize etc.
and so on...

Then we need to develop plugins that can handle shapes that are bitmaps,
vectors and text, offering the usual tools.

If one does well the same app (with some profile) could be used for plain
vector editing or plain pixmap handling. But what is a vector/pixmap editing
program without pixmap/vector abilities ;)

I think it's possible (Okay, I miss the proof ;) Will take some years but, who
cares.

Friedrich