List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: [kspread] integrating KSpreadValue (and some ramblings)
From:       Ariya Hidayat <ariya () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-10-31 7:00:37

> If you think it makes sence, yes we can put it out of KSpreadCell, but I
> don't know what we will really gain beside of better abstraction.
> Public should be paintCell only. Borders and Background are called by
> paintCell only.
> Or do you mean the other ones like makeLayout or textSize? These are not
> really painting related, as they are used mostly to define position, size
> and lenght of displayed text in zoom independet values (yes, currently not
> completely independent, but should be at the end). These methods maybe part
> of the layout class as well or we should keep them in KspreadCell IMHO.
> So it would be the (I think 6) painting methods in KSpreadCell, which is
> not too much code to be needed to seperate.

My idea is that because of KSpreadCell's size, it should be arranged so that
it will be at least "humanly manageable". One way to do this is to split many
properties (and functionalities) into separate classes. That's why I propose
painting-related stuff to be put in another class.
Perhaps David or others could explain how this is done in KWord/KPresenter ?

> This is so something about our coding style. Shall we seperate most and put
> them in different files? We already have a lot of files (and ofcourse
> code), so more files may make it more cluttered.
> But I'm not the one who can talk about good coding style. If you or the
> other prefer something, I'm fine with it.
> BTW: Your prefer code the same as I do (spaces, tabs, etc. ;-)

I don't want to start flamewars about spaces vs tabs :-P
First and more important is how we should manage the source code, which is
already approx 150 files. One possible approach is putting them in separate
folders, just like:
  /core
  /dialogs
  /functions

There's drawback though. Like Werner once told me, this will reduce the effect
of enable-final. David also noticed that newcomer will likely be "lost"
somehow and keep looking for the location of the files.
However, if we all agree on this, why not ? Count me as one vote :-)

--
"In a world without fences, who needs Gates"