List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: The road goes ever on
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2002-10-31 7:37:59

On Wednesday 30 October 2002 9:54 pm, Dirk Schönberger wrote:
|  > I think there are two reasons why Qt doesn't support more sophisticated
|  > rendering API:
|  > * such API will have to be implemenetd on Windows, which is *painful*
|
|  IMHO the later Windows versions contains GDI versions GDI+, which provides
|  some features, which could be used for this. But these APIs are not
|  available in lower Windows, think Windows 98.
|  Or they could use lĂ­bart, but this wouldn't be possible, of course...

I think we were speaking about SVG, no?
So, if TrollTech adds support for SVG 1.1 in X11 version of QT - than they
need to do the same in Windows and MacOS X versions.

As about WMF: they can map GDI calls to Windows GDI on Windows platform, but
that doesn't help with X11 and Mac OS X.

I think that instead of writing N renderers (for N vector formats), it's
better to write (N-1) converters to SVG format, and render SVG.
Note that WMF and EMF formats are developed, and we need support ofr them (on
Linux/KDE) just for compatibility with WIndows platform (MS Word .doc files,
may be, some clipart)

|  > * limited resources  (and no request for such features from customers
|  > who *pay* money for Qt)
|
|  I think this is the real reason.

Sure.  AFAIK there is only one office suite which uses Qt3.
(I am not sure about Hancom office, may be they are second - but I haven't
seen it)
So, we are on *bleeding edge* of development. And just hitting some limits of
existing toolkits.

|  >
|  > I think you again mixing *file format* and *programming language*.
|  > PS is *language*, PDF is ... somewhat unclear, derivative of PS with
|  > some  "new
|  > features".
|  > SVG is rather clean implementation of data set in XML form.
|  > You can process XML with Qt3, expat, libxml2.
|  > But you can't process PS files with any of thos elibraries. You need GS
|  for PS.
|
|  I will

Cool!

|  Postscript: a programming language with runtime system and API, the "grand
|  parent" of the more modern APIs
|  PDF: a file format with a similar syntax than Postscript, but with a fixed
|  set of operators (instead of the programming language aspect of PS, which
|  allows for own operators, and the overloading of existing operators)

And this makes PDF a better candidate for parsing/data interchange, comparing
to PS.  I think XPDF is not dependant on GhostScript, so you may want to take
a look on its code, too.

|  SVG - an XML dialoect / application for definitions of vector graphics.
| The actual vector data isn't stored in XML syntax, but instead of a custom
| syntax. This gets you a smaller file size. A parser for SVG path data is
| part of Karbon core, beside other parts.
|  Processing PS files is more or less easy, the syntax is not so
| complicated. It will become complicated if you want to implement the
| programming language features of Postscript.

And what you are going to do about emdedded fonts?
And "substituted parts" of those?

PS is not only "paths". Main purpose of PS is *fonts*.

As about embedded fonts - well, it can be done :-)
You need
* extract font from PS file
* decode/reencode
* supply font to FreeType
* render it using FreeType, and return results back.

Are you ready for that? :-)

|  Yes, you can process XML files with Qt3, expat, libxml2. You can't howeer,
|  process the path data description as easy. I think rsvg a,d ksvg contains
|  their own SVG path parser. Karbons SVG Path parser is based upon the KSVG
|  one.
|
|  Regards
|  Dirk

Vadim Plessky