List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: [KChart/KSpread] OpenOffice filter
From:       "Shaheed R. Haque" <srhaque () iee ! org>
Date:       2002-09-23 15:30:00

Norbet,

> The filter looks good and seems to provide what I need - so I'll try to
> integrate the opencalc filter there.
> And add KChart and KFormula filter... or are there any other volunteers
> :-) ?
> Just curious: would it be possible to read an OpenCalc file with an
> embedded
> Excel document? (I don't know if OpenCalc supports it...)

Actually, you probably need to think of it the other way around. I suspect you
need a Open Office equivalent to olefilter: and since that is (by definition)
very similar to the native KOffice storage format, there is probably a way to
add to KoStore functionality like this. David may have some suggestions on the
minimum-effort route to this.

Basically, the idea is like this:

1. The nth level filter is invoked by koFilterManager.
2. The nth level filter detects the presence of an embedded object.
3. The nth level filter signals to koFilterManager "I have an object, here is
the data for it, tell me where you put it."
4. koFilterManager recurses down to level n+1, at step 1 above, and then
returns a handle to the nth level filter describing where the n+1th level
object was stored.
5. The nth level filter uses the handle as it requires to refer to the n+1th
level object.

I suspect the bulk of this infrastructure is there: you may need to add a
signal like the one in olefilter to koFilterManager to allow step 3 to be
implemented.

> Anyway, thank you very much for the hint (now I know what to do with my
> free
> time on this sunday...)

Hehe. Drop me a line if you have any questions: I probably know that part as
well as anyone apart from Werner (since he wrote it, but I was the first user).

Thanks, Shaheed