List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: [RFC] Adding a new filter status
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicog () snafu ! de>
Date:       2002-07-17 20:58:40

On Mittwoch, 17. Juli 2002 07:30, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 10:30:36PM +0200, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> >
> > (...)

(..)

> > And you will get this problem with any file format that evolves.
> >
> > Otherwise, yes, you are right, downgrades have to be avoided. That is why
> > I have downgraded nearly all "good" labels to "working" at once, to avoid
> > that further user critics force us to downgrade them filter by filter.
>
> Overall I think you are taking the labels and percentile too serious (I am
> mostly talking about your second mail here), the only reason I proposed it
> was to show without an external reference-chart what a certain name stands
> for. So it would be nothing more then;

It is not me who take the status very seriously, it is some of our users. For
them "good", is not 50% but more like 90%.

Either the numbers/labels are "vapor-ware" and we do not need them or they are
meant relatively seriously.

>     alfa  - 10%
>     beta  - 25%
>     good  - 50%
>
>     complete - 98%

Personnaly, I think that numbers would only be good if we had objective
criteria, like for example character formating max. 5 points, layout max. 5
points, inlined image max. 5 point, tables max. 10 points, styles max. 10
points...

> I don't think it makes any sense to change the filter status after a
> reworking of the internal file-format of KWord, as long as it is fixed
> before the release nobody will be the wiser.

The status is supposed to track the *developement* version, not the stable
version. As far as I know, the status was meant for (new) volunteer
developers to know where their work was the most needed.

We have not yet a status for the stable branch. I have tried to make one
yesterday, but I have only found out that WebCVS do not let you fetch the
lastest revision of a branch, if you do not know the revision number. :-(
(If someone knows how to do it with WebCVS, please tell!)

Have a nice day/evening/night!