List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: [RFC] Adding a new filter status
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicog () snafu ! de>
Date:       2002-07-17 20:53:26

On Mittwoch, 17. Juli 2002 07:28, Ariya Hidayat wrote:
> > Personally, I fail to see how useful it will be for a user to have a
> > table with many rows (features) and with many many columns (filters).
>
> I'm thinking of one table for each filter (import and export together).
> For example, one table can list KWord features which are supported under
> HTML export and import at the same time. Allows versioning, e.g
> WordPerfect 5 and 6/7/8 at different columns. Such table can be made
> similar for a group of KWord filters, i.e items in the rows are similar,
> but not necessary list all filters at once.

Then it is really a job for the status.html file of each filter.

You are not the first that want to change the status.html files. Personally, I
had hoped that we could edit them in KWord, however the HTML import filter is
still not good enough.

> Beside, putting them in separate categories (character, paragraph, page
> properties and so on) makes it easy for the developers to track features.
> Or maybe for users who wonder which things are supported and which aren't.
>
> > I do not know how many features KWord or AbiWord has. However the number
> > of filters is easier to calculate. AbiWord has around 16 import filters
> > and 18 export filters. One day may be we will have as much for KWord...
> > We have already 11 import filters and 7 export filters for KWord. All
> > this makes the table for KWord alone already huge.
>
> With a number of active filter developers less than 5, I doubt we can
> create (or even maintain) many filters easily. Admittedly, Abiword has
> more people working on filters.

Well, I hope that will be able to increase this number quite soon.

> Anyway, I'm working on WordPerfect export filter at the moment. I can't
> commit it due to feature freeze, so it goes for KWord 1.3. Just to note
> that not only Abiword has it :-)

Nice, a new filter! :-)

> Last but not least, I feel that term such "KWord WordPerfect Export
> Filter" is simply confusing. Wouldn't be better to call it "WordPerfect
> Exporter for KWord" ? Or any other name ? The same goes for all filters.
> Comments ?

Mostly I write the names like "KWord's AbiWord export filter". If I recall
well, that is also the form that I have chosen for the HTML and ASCII
dialogs. Changing the name in the desktop files from "KWord" to "KWord's"
would also save many translations.

As for "exporter", I see a problem of how to translate it. (Neither in German
nor in French I can find something that sounds somewhat good.)

In any case, due to the message freeze, it is too late to change it now.

> :: Ariya ::

Have a nice day/evening/night!