List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: [RFC] Adding a new filter status
From:       Clarence Dang <dang () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-07-13 10:22:03

On Sat, 13 Jul 2002 08:05, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> I am wondering if we should not introduce a new filter status between
> "beta" and "good".

I think this is an excellent idea!

> The problem that I have found is that you need to have at least the status
> "beta" before users report bugs and that users consider that "good" means
> that everything should function perfectly. However all these make "beta"
> being very broad.

I'm thinking that it might also be a good idea to have a table of what "basic"
features each filter imports/exports e.g. character formatting, paragraph
formatting, page formatting (includes headers/footers/pagination), images etc
so that if someone wants to help with kword filters, they have a better idea
of what can be improved and users know what filters work best for their
purposes (eg. I did not know that the HTML exporter could do images until
yesterday when I used it).

> As for the name of the new status, I have "gamma" or "working". Perhaps
> someone could find a better name.
>
> The new status would indicate a filter whose maintainer thinks that,
> despite having holes, it should work good otherwise.

"working" sounds good to me.

Or renaming what is currently "good" to "excellent" and making the new
category "good".

Thanks!
Clarence