List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    [RFC] Adding a new filter status
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicog () snafu ! de>
Date:       2002-07-12 22:05:16

I am wondering if we should not introduce a new filter status between "beta"
and "good".

The problem that I have found is that you need to have at least the status
"beta" before users report bugs and that users consider that "good" means
that everything should function perfectly. However all these make "beta"
being very broad.

As for the name of the new status, I have "gamma" or "working". Perhaps
someone could find a better name.

The new status would indicate a filter whose maintainer thinks that, despite
having holes, it should work good otherwise.

For example the AbiWord filters cannot do lists and headers/footers. However
the rest works good and is more than just "beta".

On the other side, the MS Word import filter is "good" but the users complain
(on http://dot.kde.org if I recall well) that the filter should not crash if
it is "good." However it seems that for MS Word 97 the filter works without
crashing.

Have a nice day/evening/night!