List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: kpresenter suggestion (here: Howto download this into KPresenter)
From:       Thorsten Schnebeck <thorsten.schnebeck () gmx ! net>
Date:       2001-06-27 18:34:19

Am Mittwoch, 27. Juni 2001 13:37 schrieb Carsten Pfeiffer:
> On Dienstag, 26. Juni 2001 18:59 Thorsten Schnebeck wrote:
> > Why oh why is it impossible to drag an URL in KMail to KPresenter to open
> > the document?
>
> dunno, ask the KPresenter developer :) Hmm, I remember a discussion about
> some "drop-zone" in the tool- or menubar, to open new files. Never got
> implemented tho.

I don't think a drop-zone is good UI. BTW you can drag nearly everthing to
Konqi on Kicker to open the file - something like this drop-zone.

> > Why oh why are there so much useless short view modes in the fileselector
> > box, if you have filenames like "snapshot001" to "snapshot010" or
> > "Presentaton Toronto part1" (Tip: all my snapshots are viewed as
> > "snapshot0...")?
>
> Yes, I know this sucks. QIconView should have a mode to set the raster
> dynamically. I'll talk to Reggie about this. Otherwise, we might be able to
> add this to KIconView.
>
> > Why oh why am I not smart enough to use this fileselector box?
>
> That I can't tell :) You could use the Detailed view, which doesn't cut off
> the filenames.

I want Konqi as my file selector box ;-)
This whole file selector stuff makes me crazy %--/
I will tell you later about RiscOS...

> > Oh Christian (I think he is our fileselector box man)
> > p l e a s e  add something like RiscOS loading and saving - it is so much
> > sweater. You will be my eternal hero :-)
>
> I'm not Christian, but I guess I'm the fileselector box man ;) The RiscOS
> idea was the DND thing? I don't know RiscOS....

Hey, that what I call a brain! The first letter "C" of the "fileselector box
man" was not that bad, eh?
So Carsten let me explain my mixed feelings about this file selector crap (I
don't know so much "strong words" in English, so everything I don't like is
crap "per se" ;-)

Here are some user situations:
I want to open a document: I am searching in my well organized Konqi with
full featured toolbar (TNG) and klick on the file, the application opened.
Konqi is not closed due to this action, it is still in the background, a full
featured filemanager. Let's say this doc was a kword template file and I want
to save the new created document. Don't give me a file selector box but a
simple icon representing this new document. Give me a simple edit-box with a
dummy-filename too. If this is an old doc and I want to save a new version,
put the whole path in the edit-box. Now we only need an OK-botton to confirm
in case of a "save as..." -action or let's drag this document:

- into Konqi for normal saving, we need the path from the drop-sink, could be
a problem with current QT (?)
-  to the desktop (,maybe because the filemanager is closed or on a different
screen) . This is very intuitive, its the direct connotation (have this word
from leo ;-) to the real desk: If you don't have a folder for an incomming
letter you put it on the desk.
- to other apps: Save a KSpread into KWord. A very powerful interpetation of
kpart-technology.

This all is realized is RiscOS. Oh, every RiscOS application has also a
drop-sink-keyboard command (AKA "File open"-command) if you press "F2", but
no "load" command, no "save as" command in the file menu.

Carsten, you can say, you have to use Konqi as a filemanager, but in my
opinion this is a pro and not a contra. Everyone use Konqi with KDE.
Another point: this stuff is nearly same as radical like the apple filebar
and so a candidate for YACO (Yet Another Config Option) and maybe forces
BC-breaking changes - something for KDE 3 ?

I will repeat some URLs, where you get an impression of this file management
system.

rox is RiscOS-style file management on Linux (uses GTK):
http://rox.sourceforge.net/screens/save.gif

In this report about "Easywriter" you get a picture about file-export and see
a typical RiscOS save menu, BTW RiscOS has no application menubars, only
context sensitive pop-up menus!
http://www.riscos.org/cgi-bin/ROmain?a=Easiwriter
http://www.riscos.org/images/ew/saving.gif

The official Acorn DnD definition from 1993
http://www.pinknoise.demon.co.uk/Docs/Arc/Apps/DragDrop.html

You have to use it - hmmmm - I think one day and you will love it and think
everthing different is crap! :-)

Bye

  Thorsten

--