List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: My "quotes" are becoming ?quotes?
From:       Craig Drummond <cpdrummond () freeuk ! com>
Date:       2001-06-27 15:17:35

Hi,

> Hi!
>
> Does anyone have this obscure problem: Sometimes when I open a
document, most
> (but not all) my quotes (single and double ones) become ?.
Admittedly, most
> of these are imported MS-Word 97 and Abiword ones.
>
> I have only been testing on beta2 so this may be the source of the
problem
> :).  Does anyone know why this ??? happens?

I think it'll be a font encoing problem. The quotes (I'm presumming you'
re talking about the 66 and 99 looking ones) are not in any of the
standard encoding schemes. Windows uses (or used to) an encoding called
cp1252 - which moves these characters into empty spaces in the is8859-1
(Latin-1) encoding. SO if you open a document encoded as cp1252, and
try to look at it with a font that uses Latin1, then the quote
characters will not be present. To get around this, you could try
seting up X to use unicode encoding (iso10646-1) this way all
characters in the font should be accessible. Qt used to (and may still
have) problems creating postscript from unicode fonts.

Another way is to setup X to use microsoft-cp1252 (if you have the
micorosoft-cp1252.enc file installed) This will allow X apps to see
these characters in the same position as they are under windows.
However, Qt will ignore this encoding...

Ciao

Craig.