List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: fonts on kword
From:       cpdrummond () freeuk ! com
Date:       2001-02-07 18:01:41

You wrote:

> From: Mark <mhillary@onetel.net.uk>
> To: koffice@max.tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de
> Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 17:07:25 +0000
> Subject: Re: fonts on kword
>

> I am also having this problem too. THis problem (for me) affects the
> whole of KDE. Most of the standard fonts can now be rendered correct (I
> think it is due to install the nvidia drivers for my card, or updateding
> to kde 2.1beta), it is fonts like symbol and other such fonts that end
> up just looking like the kde standard font. This same fonts are fine in
> non kde apps, i.e abiword. As I am doing math, physics and chemistry for
> alevels, not been able to use such fonts in KDE is a major reason for
> not using koffice. Along with not been able to insert symbols in to
> formulas.

I think (but I'm not 100% sure...) that thre reason some fonts work OK, and your
symbol fonts don't - is that KDE/Qt's font matching stuff gives a higher
priority to the encoding of the font, and not the font name itself. i.e.,
in KControlCenter if you set your font encoding to be iso8859-1 (Latin1)
and then try to use a font with another encoding (symbol, iso8859-2) then
KDE will choose another font with the correct encoding!

Hopefully this issue will be resolved when Qt moves away from the idea of
character sets.

Craig.