You wrote: > From: Mark > To: koffice@max.tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de > Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 17:07:25 +0000 > Subject: Re: fonts on kword > > > I am also having this problem too. THis problem (for me) affects the > whole of KDE. Most of the standard fonts can now be rendered correct (I > think it is due to install the nvidia drivers for my card, or updateding > to kde 2.1beta), it is fonts like symbol and other such fonts that end > up just looking like the kde standard font. This same fonts are fine in > non kde apps, i.e abiword. As I am doing math, physics and chemistry for > alevels, not been able to use such fonts in KDE is a major reason for > not using koffice. Along with not been able to insert symbols in to > formulas. I think (but I'm not 100% sure...) that thre reason some fonts work OK, and your symbol fonts don't - is that KDE/Qt's font matching stuff gives a higher priority to the encoding of the font, and not the font name itself. i.e., in KControlCenter if you set your font encoding to be iso8859-1 (Latin1) and then try to use a font with another encoding (symbol, iso8859-2) then KDE will choose another font with the correct encoding! Hopefully this issue will be resolved when Qt moves away from the idea of character sets. Craig.