List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Interested to join as developer
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-12-11 11:45:33

On Monday 11 December 2000 00:32, Dwarfmage2@aol.com wrote:
> Hi, my name is Craig Schow and while reading an Interview with David
> Faure I came accross a line asking for people who know C++ to contact you and
> contribute. I would like to do just that...I would like to contribute. Please
> send me information about what I need and how to get started contributing to
> this effort.

Wow, that's cool, I should do more interviews, if it brings new developers :-)))

On Monday 11 December 2000 04:57, Aravind Sadagopan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Being a user of open source development tools and Qt libraries for my work, I \
> strongly feel the need to contribute to open source with the skills I possess \
> (C/C++ programmer for past 4 years). I think koffice is an great application with \
> lot of scope and I feel I can make some contributions to this project. Please do \
> enroll me as a developer and assign me some preliminary tasks which you feel can be \
> given to new developer of koffice Thanks
> Aravind S

Hello Craig and Aravind.

 The first step is to download and compile the current sources, as in
http://www.kde.org/cvsup.html or http://www.kde.org/anoncvs.html.

Then it's up to you to decide on what you want to work.
One thing you need to know is that with open source development,
nobody will assign you a job. Only hint about what you could do, but
you're the one who decides what to do in the end :)

If you want to help with the existing code, one way is to simply start
by fixing bugs and sending patches (to the authors, or to the mailing-lists).
And in case you don't find bugs by yourself, http://bugs.kde.org/ has an amazing
collection :-)

If you'd rather start a new app, ask first on the lists if a similar already exists \
to avoid duplicate work. But many people start apps and don't maintain them later,
so I'd rather see help on the existing ones :-)
This is even more true in KOffice, since the existing applications definitely
lack developers.

To find resources on KDE development, see http://developer.kde.org
(assuming you already know Qt; if not, have a look at http://www.trolltech.com,
especially the tutorial is very good).

In case you need more info or help with anything, let me know.

http://www.mandrakesoft.com/~david/, http://www.konqueror.org/