List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Help on KOffice
From:       John Califf <jcaliff () compuzone ! net>
Date:       2000-12-11 15:55:16

Dwarfmage2@aol.com wrote:

>    Hi, my name is Craig Schow and while reading an Interview with
> David
> Faure I came accross a line asking for people who know C++ to contact
> you and
> contribute. I would like to do just that...I would like to contribute.
> Please
> send me information about what I need and how to get started
> contributing to
> this effort.
>
>       Thank You,
>
>            Craig Schow

You will probably be hearing from David Faure with better advice than I
can give here.  Just some general stuff:

To get started, you first need to get the current development version of
kde from kde cvs.  Check the main page at kde.org from where you can
find links to developer.kde.org.  There are several FAQS to help people
get started using cvs and instructions on how to compile from source.
You will also neet the Qt toolkit and can find instructions at
developer.kde.org and trolltech.com for that as well.  Using anonmyous
cvs is fine at first.  You can submit your proposed fixes or
enhancements here but eventually will be able to commit changes
yourself.   Most changes should be discucssed, though.

This will require a linux of unix partition.  I notice you are using aol
for email and possibly internet connectivity and may not have linux or
unix installed.  Actually I used Windows for internet access for quite a
while until I got my modem working with linux.  That's fine, so long as
you have unix or linux installed with all the necessary utilities for
developing with C++ and the "X" desktop which kde uses.

The Qt toolkit is very nice and much easier to use than some others,
including MFC.  The documentation is very good - html format and there
are numerous examples.

Just browsing these mailing list archives is the best way to get an
overall sense of what needs to be done and how things are done here.  It
is somewhat informal.  You can work on anything you want to work on but
it may take some time (weeks at least) to become familiar enough with
kde to sense where your talents may be of best use.

Thank you

John