List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: KWord tables totally broken?
From:       Wolf-Michael Bolle <Bolle () ID-PRO ! de>
Date:       2000-10-30 4:43:14

> > I was trying to play around with tables in KWord for my SGML DocBook
> > filter but I got greatly disappointed. When I create a new document w=
ith
> > a few lines of text, insert a new table (3 columns, 2 rows) in the
> > middle of them, store the document, and exit KWord I cannot reload th=
> > document and have the table where I wanted it to be. In fact the tabl=
> > ends up outside my text frame from where I can't even move it back an=
> > more. Any suggestions?
>
> There are 2 known issues with tables,
>
>    * tables can not occupy the same space as text in your main frame. T=
his is
>      logical and will not be changed.
>    * Creating a floating table which is positioned in such a way that t=
he anchor
>      is moved creates a faulty reference to the table. You can ellimina=
te this
>      by simply creating the table so it will not interfere with the ori=
ginal
>      text flow
>
> Frames that are rendered outside the page can not be moved. That is not=
 a bug,
> the bug is that the frame was positioned outside the page in the first =
place.
> The logic to fix that has not been written just yet.

Can you give me a small example with every singe mouse click on how to cr=
eate a
valid table in KWord in a small document that I can save and reload?

Here is what I do:

I click at the 'Tools' menu and choose 'Create Table'. After that the 'In=
sert
Table' window comes up. I leave the default settings at 7 rows, 5 columns=
,
automatic cell heights and automatic cell widths, and leave the table flo=
ating box
unchecked. So, the next thing I do is hit OK. The next part is quite biza=
rr to me
which might be part of the problems I have. My mouse pointer changes into=
 a cross
of the shape of a plus sign which I would interpret as a request to mark =
the
position of my new table. After much playing around I realised that in th=
at mode
I am able to draw a rectangle that sort of defines where my table should =
be drawn.
I found though that this will only be used as a general hint on where to =
put the
table because the table is created across the whole width of my page, and=
 is as
high as the font needs it to be. Therefore I would suggest to make this p=
rocess
more intuitive in that hitting the mouse button will go ahead and create =
the table
instead of having me draw a rectangle whose size will be ignored anyway. =
Whatever,
I find though that after saving the text file with this new table and rel=
oading
the table is outside my text area. The documentation doesn't really go be=
yond the
parts that are intuitive after clicking around either. Therefore, I'm ask=
ing for
help on how to create a table the proper way.

Also KWord seems to have problems redrawing the window. A lot of times wh=
en
I click into one element in the table the whole document text goes away.

A lot of times when I leave KWord without saving changes KWord crashes.

KWord also isn't able to remember if I made a change to a document or not=
=2E I can
load a document, close it right away, and still being asked if I want to =
save the
file.

Michael

--
Wolf-Michael Bolle <Bolle@ID-PRO.de> (Products & Development)
* ID-PRO Deutschland GmbH * G.-Heinemann-Ring 135 * D-81739 M=FCnchen