List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: X-KDE-NativeMimeType weirdness
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-10-29 19:04:57

On Sunday 29 October 2000 08:13, you wrote:
> Bastian,
>
> I found this while browsing the Office mailing list archive. I had
> exactly the same problem:

Yes, it seems to be a very common problem.

> > > Quite a few KOffice applications refuse to start up (ie. all of them
> > > except Kword and Kspread), instead spitting out the following message
> > > about Mimes.
> > >
> > > koffice (lib kofficecore): WARNING: Office/killustrator.desktop: no
> > > X-KDE-NativeMimeType entry! koffice (lib kofficecore): ERROR: Couldn't
> > > find the native MimeType in killustrator's desktop file. Check your
> > > installation !
> >
> > * Run "kbuildsycoca --incremental"
>
> This didn't work, except when I changed a desktop file and put
> another X-KDE-NativeMimeType entry near the top of the file. Weird.

Ok. Appearantly the modification date of the desktop file is older than that
of the sycoca file so it will not "see" the desktop file.

> > * Run "kbuildsycoca".
>
> This solved the problem entirely. Could this be a bug in ksycoca that
> it somehow didn't get the entire contents of the Office desktop files
> the first time?

There seem to be four possible error scenarios:
1) kbuildsycoca crashes the first time it is run.
2) KDEDIR is set incorrectly so that kbuildsycoca uses the wrong
directories to build the database from.
3) KDEHOME is set incorrectly so that kbuildsycoca stores the database in
the wrong place.
4) The modification dates of the desktop files are older ksycoca so that they
aren't recognzed as "new".

Cheers,
Waldo
--