List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Fwd: RE: koffice translations!!!
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-09-27 12:46:57

On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, Thomas Diehl wrote :
>==================BEGIN FORWARDED MESSAGE==================
>>From: =?ISO-8859-2?Q?Tinkl_Luk=E1=B9?= <Lukas.Tinkl@merlin.cz>
>>To: "'kde-i18n-doc@master.kde.org'" <kde-i18n-doc@master.kde.org>
>>Subject: RE: koffice translations!!!
>>Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 14:14:37 +0200
>
>> "Erik K. Pedersen" wrote:
>> >
>> > I did the translations yesterday. I know I have translated
>> these before. Have
>> > they been in kspread before, then taken out and put back
>> in? Hyperbolic tangent
>> > does not appear in any other po-file, but I know I have
>> translated that before.
>> Yes, they were in kspread before. But one message per function, now we
>> have about 6
>> messages per function.
>
>No, I must disagree - it's not only about splitting lines.
>Right now, I'm translating kspread.po and I'm really shocked why Torben had
>to change the functions' examples too. Sometimes, the example values changed
>and even several completely new strings were added. Moreover, I had to
>correct each and every function, because kspread now uses a colon as
>parameter separator and respects the locale. So I had to translate all of
>them according to our locale, including the thousands and decimal separator.
>:-((

This is some sort of a catch-22, isn't it ?
Torben is so nice as to implement what many non-English users asked: being
able to enter numbers in kspread using their locale.
Well, in many languages, it's the comma that is used for the decimal point,
and kspread used to use the comma for separating arguments passed to a
koscript function call. But it can't be both, otherwise myfunc(1,2,3) could
mean a lot of different things !
So, as decided since quite a long time now, he fixes this, turning the comma
into a semicolon, which isn't a decimal point for anyone.
Of course the examples had to be fixed ! It's pointless to have examples,
otherwise.

I can understand the frustation due to the changes in the messages, but when
the related fix _is_ a fix for non-English users, I think a bit of reverse
understanding would be appropriate as well.

On the whole, the timing for this KOffice hacking wasn't very good, that's
for sure. But when a government offers to pay for a developer & translator
meeting session, you can't just say "good idea, but let's wait for after 2.0,
we are in a freeze currently".

http://www.mandrakesoft.com/~david/, http://www.konqueror.org/