List:       koffice
Subject:    RE: koffice translations!!!
From:       Tinkl_Lukáš <Lukas.Tinkl () merlin ! cz>
Date:       2000-09-27 12:56:35

> >> these before. Have
> >> in? Hyperbolic tangent
> >> translated that before.
> >> Yes, they were in kspread before. But one message per
> function, now we
> >> have about 6
> >> messages per function.
> >
> >No, I must disagree - it's not only about splitting lines.
> >Right now, I'm translating kspread.po and I'm really shocked
> why Torben had
> >to change the functions' examples too. Sometimes, the
> example values changed
> >and even several completely new strings were added.
> Moreover, I had to
> >correct each and every function, because kspread now uses a colon as
> >parameter separator and respects the locale. So I had to
> translate all of
> >them according to our locale, including the thousands and
> decimal separator.
> >:-((
>
> This is some sort of a catch-22, isn't it ?
> Torben is so nice as to implement what many non-English users
> asked: being
> able to enter numbers in kspread using their locale.
> Well, in many languages, it's the comma that is used for the
> decimal point,
> and kspread used to use the comma for separating arguments
> passed to a
> koscript function call. But it can't be both, otherwise
> myfunc(1,2,3) could
> mean a lot of different things !
> So, as decided since quite a long time now, he fixes this,
> turning the comma
> into a semicolon, which isn't a decimal point for anyone.
> Of course the examples had to be fixed ! It's pointless to
> have examples,
> otherwise.

Well, I was not complaining about fixing the bugs above, but pointing Coolo
to the fact, that this change didn't only mean splitting strings! Otherwise
I'm really grateful I can use kspread every day, believe me.

> I can understand the frustation due to the changes in the
> messages, but when
> the related fix _is_ a fix for non-English users, I think a
> bit of reverse
> understanding would be appropriate as well.

Yeah, exactly. But 90% of the changes made to kspread.po were *not* related
to bugfixing.

> On the whole, the timing for this KOffice hacking wasn't very
> good, that's
> for sure. But when a government offers to pay for a developer
> & translator
> meeting session, you can't just say "good idea, but let's
> wait for after 2.0,
> we are in a freeze currently".

Agree, but please read the whole thread at kde-i18n-doc to get a feeling how
other translators feel - I'm *not* the only one complaining.
See http://lists.kde.org/?t=96998723000002&w=2&r=1

Bye,
Lukas Tinkl