List:       koffice
Subject:    Fwd: RE: koffice translations!!!
From:       "Thomas Diehl" <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-09-27 12:31:20

>From: =?ISO-8859-2?Q?Tinkl_Luk=E1=B9?= <Lukas.Tinkl@merlin.cz>
>To: "'kde-i18n-doc@master.kde.org'" <kde-i18n-doc@master.kde.org>
>Subject: RE: koffice translations!!!
>Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 14:14:37 +0200

> "Erik K. Pedersen" wrote:
> >
> > I did the translations yesterday. I know I have translated
> these before. Have
> > they been in kspread before, then taken out and put back
> in? Hyperbolic tangent
> > does not appear in any other po-file, but I know I have
> translated that before.
> Yes, they were in kspread before. But one message per function, now we
> have about 6
> messages per function.

No, I must disagree - it's not only about splitting lines.
Right now, I'm translating kspread.po and I'm really shocked why Torben had
to change the functions' examples too. Sometimes, the example values changed
and even several completely new strings were added. Moreover, I had to
correct each and every function, because kspread now uses a colon as
parameter separator and respects the locale. So I had to translate all of
them according to our locale, including the thousands and decimal separator.
:-((

And what about this string:
#: xml_doc.cc:451
msgid "Fix me, I am a hack"
msgstr ""

Should we really translate such stupid messages???

> > I used to have great expectations for koffice, but when I
> see the sloppy
> > messages in kspread I don't know what to think. They will
> have to be revised
> > again a lot of them, if only because of very poor English
> and spelling errors.
> >
> Hmm, most of them are copy and pasted from the man pages :)

And so?

Regards,
Lukas Tinkl <lukas@kde.org>
Czech KDE team