List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Negative review of koffice..
From:       Rudiger Koch <rkoch () sas ! co ! th>
Date:       2000-04-20 13:55:57

Am Mit, 19 Apr 2000 schrieb Marko Samastur:

> The other problem is that right now, it doesn't work. Or at least in SO
> it doesn't. If I use an iso-8895-2 font for typing (which is the right
> one for slovenians like me), I get non-latin1 letters on the screen, but
> not on the paper.

iso-8895-2 might not be the right choice if your font is encoded using another
scheme such as microsoft-symbol, apple-roman, microsoft-unicode... Ghostscript
seemingly figures the right encoding to use by itself. So try using another
encoding (Any)

Why does the user need to take care of this, anyway? It seems highly redundant
and a constant source of error for unexperienced users of non Roman scripts.
Using "AnyCharSet" works fine for me in Thailand for _all font encodings that
occur for Thai fonts.

What happens under the hood if one uses "AnyCharSet"? Common TTF encodings
such as "microsoft-symbol" are not even supported by QT. Yet it works if using
"AnyCharSet", and only then. (X supports these encodings)

Is it possible to remove these CharSet Options and let QT and X take care of
that completely?

Greetings
-Rudiger