List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Japanese support in KWord
From:       Derrick Moser <d2moser () engmail ! uwaterloo ! ca>
Date:       2000-02-19 19:52:40

> The KWord of koffice-20000124 can handle Japanese character
> using XIM with kinput2.
> I can use KWord with kinput2.
> # Attention: KWord is sometime gone with Japanese character.
> But I think that it is not perfect because it does not support to control
> cursor for on the spot.
> If you can not XIM with kinput2 for japanese input, please check these.
>
> 1) Is wnn or canna server running for kinput2?
> 2) Is kinput2 running?
> 3) Is LANG setting?  (ex. LANG=ja_JP.eucJP, LANG=ja_JP.ujis)
> 4) Does your OS have locale data for Japanese? (see  /usr/share/locale)
> 5) Is XMODIFIERS setting ? (ex. XMODIFERS='@im=kinput2' )

Hello Asano-san,

I have koffice-02052000-1 installed.  KWord crashes whenever I hit
Ctrl-Space to start Japanese input (segmentation fault in
KWParag::setFormat()).

The LANG and XMODIFIERS environment variables appear to be set properly.

I am trying to get this to work from a Red Hat installation (English).  I
have not touched the locale settings but there appears to be the full
Japanese locale data in /usr/share/locale.  I have installed the canna and
kinput2 packages and I can use them to enter Japanese text into kterm even
though I get the following warning when kterm starts up:

Warning: locale not supported by C library, locale unchanged
Couldn't set locale:
ja_JP.eucJP,ja_JP.ujis,ja_JP.EUC,japanese.euc,Japanese-EUC,ja,japan

I don't know which library this is referring to.  I'm also unsure if this
means there is a problem with the library or with the locale data.  Do you
know what I can do to verify that the locale data is correct?  Or how to
determine which library needs replacing?

Thanks for the help.

--
mush$ mv ~d2moser /loony/bin