List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: kword screen font handling
From:       dep <dep () snet ! net>
Date:       1999-11-30 17:09:01

On Tue, 30 Nov 1999, Wilke Havinga wrote:

|The problem is with X-fonts in general: ofcourse they are not bad, but the
|fonts that come with <your-favorite-distro-here> usually don't include
|nicely scalable fonts.

yeah. i hadn't really thought about it until reggie brought it up, whereupon i
looked in the /scalable directory and found charter, two flavors of courier,
and utopia. that's it. i do wish that adding typefaces to X were as easy as it
is with practically everything else, alas.

|You might want to check out xfstt, a font server for X that can use
|M$ Windows (TM) TrueType fonts. I'm also using this, and it makes X (not
|only KOffice!) look a lot better.

it's probably an irrational prejudice, but i would rather do almost anything
else. what i pray for is that some brilliant kde programmer comes up with an
applet that automates the cumbersome x typeface installation process.

|For information on how to 'de-uglify' your X-fonts, go to
|http://www.google.com, and search for 'Font Deuglification Howto'.
|If you can't find it, I have a copy lying around on my harddisk somewhere.
|Just mail me in private if you want to have it.

yup. it's a very good piece. the part about rearranging the order the typefaces
are listed in /etc/XF86Config alone justifies the document, to say nothing
about the other good stuff there.

--
                2000 is a number that breaks computers.