List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Python
From:       Avus <avvus () netscape ! net>
Date:       1999-09-30 23:46:01

"John R. Zedlewski" wrote:
> >  If python were to be the 'universal' scripting language of KDE
> > apps, ZODB could serve as a 'desktop database'.

> Well, KOffice will include Katabase to serve as a desktop database.  =

Well, Katabase is, AFAIcan see, an old-style, "boring" relational databas=
system based on Postgres. This is enterprise-ready, but doesn't offer eas=
access to the features I described.
Relational databases and the need to store and retrieve data via a query
language (directly or wrapped) is not the ideal solution for the personal=

database needs of a desktop user:
* Finding Files. =

* Finding contents in files according to type (title, note), date, contex=
t. =

* Looking up info in notes of all kinds (Notes, Mail, News, etc), using
similar filters

Some PIM applications like the upcoming Magellan (article soon on the KDE=

Forum) have very sophisticated filter capabilities, but just for their ow=
files. I'd like to have that for KOffice files as well.

> More interstingly, if you put a CORBA wrapper on the ZODB, then you =

> could script it with KScript, Python+CORBA, or
> whatever you wanted and still integrate it nicely with KOM.

That would be nice, but still: You get all the Corba overhead, and you lo=
se
the ability to store data objects directly. Corba/KOM is tough, and cuteI=
DL
might not help with python/pyKDE. Maybe I'm too pessimistic here, though.=
   =

In any case, Python becomes an increasingly important language, and it mi=
ght
be worth asking the pyKDE maintainer if he wants to maintain the KOffice
bindings as well ( http://www.river-bank.demon.co.uk/software/ )

Avus