List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Problem: Close & Exit
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-09-12 16:53:25

On Sun, Sep 12, 1999 at 03:50:11AM +0200, Michael Reiher wrote:
> > * Case 2 : NO
> >
> > We want to stick to the document-centered idea. Then I agree, no more Exit.
> Definitly my favorite:)
>
> > But we need to fix apps not to have such a no-document-state. But then the question
> > is : what does KWord do when you press Cancel in the initial dialog box ?
> IIRC(have no running kword at the moment:() the dialog offers only
> different layouts, right? Then just open an empty doc when the user hits
> cancel.

No.
Start with an empty document is an option in that dialog box.

> DON'T exit in this case. An application shouldn't be controlled
> by dialogs. The dialog should only give you some help in what basic
> layout to choose. If for instance the user has no clue what that strange
> dialog does(This happens to me quite often when using these fat windows
> office suites:) allow him/her just to click it away, without
> disturbing(by closing the window) the main process of creating a new
> document.
I see what you mean. Good point.
But still the purpose of the dialog box here is : how do you want
to start using kword ? If one answers cancel, it means : I don't want to use kword,
or "I don't know, I'll see later" (hence the without-document state that currently
exists, but which isn't useful at all). I don't think it means : I want to
use it starting with an empty document, which was the third choice on this dialog
box but which I was too lazy to select.  :-D

> I just presume that users normally start applications on
> purpose and not by accident;)
Well, that happens, you know !

--
David FAURE